For the 10th time in five years, local restaurants will join forces to offer the public some ridiculously cheap dinner and lunch specials. For those who don’t know, it’s Local Restaurant Week. Participating restaurants starting today (Oct 21) until Sunday (Oct 27), will come together to offer lunch and dinner specials for just $20 (and 13 cents). It’s a great chance for WNY foodies to finally try out some restaurants that they’ve been meaning to try but for one reason or another couldn’t. It’s also a great chance for people to support locally owned establishments and hopefully enjoy them so much that they make them part of their regular restaurant rotation. By now, if you are regular readers of our site you know that all we do is push you to eat local. With a city overflowing with independent restaurants, you have no excuse to eat at national chains. And this week is the week to go all out.
Yet again, Local Restaurant Week has over 200 restaurants participating all over WNY. On their website you can either narrow down the participating restaurants by neighborhood or by the type of offering, whether it’s dinner or lunch (often 2 for 1 deals) and even brunch.
We know it can be overwhelming to pick from the ever-expanding list of restaurants, so we have listed a few of our suggestions below. No matter what your taste, there is a restaurant for you. We hope that, like us, you fall in love with a few local restaurants and choose to spend your hard-earned money there in the future as well. Happy eating!
- Shango (near UB South Campus) – You really can’t go wrong with Shango, it’s consistently one of our favorite restaurants and their offering includes many of their classic dishes. Get the bread pudding and their gumbo and I promise you won’t be disappointed.
- Seabar (Downtown) – Another one of our favorites, you can’t go wrong with any of what they are offering and the sushi is obviously some of the best in Buffalo.
- CRaVing (Hertel) – Chef Adam Goetz is pumping out deliciously creative dishes at his new Hertel restaurant. Their two course offering is on our wish-list this week. It should be on yours as well.
- Gypsy Parlor (Westside) – We loved the vibe at Gypsy Parlor and the food was pretty great as well. You’ll want to stay and hang out after your meal and the free cocktail that’s part of the offer is the icing on the very hip cake.
- Kentucky Greg’s (Cheektowaga) – There are only a handful (or less) of really good BBQ places in WNY. Kentucky Greg’s is on that short-list. This is one of the restaurants offering 2 for 1 deals (two of them actually).
- Madonna’s (Allentown) – While we have not had a chance to go back to Madonna’s since we first visited last spring, we really love the direction the Allentown restaurant has gone in. It’s a wonderful date spot for Italian food on a cool fall night.
- Tabree (Snyder) – Our summer meal at Tabree was one of our favorite’s of the year. If you have not had the pleasure of dining there and experiencing the talent of Chef Bruce Wieszala, we highly suggest you check it out this week. We promise you’ll want to go back soon after. Reservations a must.