Every Sunday we’ll post some of our favorite national and local news stories from the food world along with something cool you probably want to buy. Have a suggestion for an article/item? Feel free to email us at email@example.com or tweet us @buffaloeats.
Want to catch up on some of our past Sunday Reading articles? Click here for our archives.
- Janice Okun retires from reviewing restaurants, Andrew Galarneau to take over [The Buffalo News]
- An Ethiopian restaurant coming to Black Rock? [The Buffalo News]
- Coca Cola Field will be serving Sahlen’s Hot Dogs this season [Ballparkbiz via Buffalo.com]
- 3 people in New York State can cook Alligator, Chris Silverstein is one of them [Buffalo.com]
- The Mac and Cheese Challenge starts March 1st [Lactalis Foodservice]
- The Cheesy Chick will start serving food this March! [Twitter]
- Test tube burgers are coming! [The Telegraph]
- Is that can of coconut milk destroying the world? Download this app to find out. [Organic Authority]
- What happens when you cook a Big Mac Value Meal and Chicken Nuggets in a rice cooker? [RocketNews 24]
- Man arrested for cooking his own meal at Denny’s [AP]
- Burger King offers Apple topped Burgers in Japan [Burger Business]
- Food Trucks battling with city governments across the US [Slate]
- Meet Rocky, the Largest Maine Lobster ever caught [MSNBC]
Some things we’ve heard around town……..
- We are very excited to hear that Cheesy Chick will be offering grilled cheese around the city in her new truck from Miami Trailer (the same people who did the Roaming Buffalo), but word on the street is there might be even more Grilled Cheese coming to Allentown. We heard a rumor of a new grilled cheese restaurant that might be moving in, the most obvious location being the former Lagniappes/Lucky Dogs spot at 244 Allen.
- When Epic first opened we were pretty skeptical, the name is unfortunate and it seemed like the restaurant opened without any buzz or advertising. Then we read the sneak preview on Buffalo Spree and thought we had it all wrong, but after seeing poor reviews about the food and the actual restaurant atmosphere, we were wary once again. Word is the head chef Sergio Aquino has been equally disappointed with the restaurant and has jumped ship, it will be interesting to see what happens next with Epic.
- The Eights currently has a temporary tenant holding the place over, word on the street is that Maura Crawford (owner of Sole, managing partner of Le Metro) will be moving into the place. The location is gorgeous but hasn’t been as successful as it could be, we watched Campieri’s and The Eights (the original vegan concept) come and go, but hopefully Crawford will be able to work some magic.